Latex is a milky plant extract found in nature, secreted by many plants and solidified when exposed to air. It is a milky liquid is found in rubber plants (Hevea brasiliensis) that are production source of it and of which scientific name is Asclepiadaceae family. Latex is a complex liquid composition and contains many substances such as protein, starch, alkaloid, sugar, oil, gum, tannin, resin. In many plants the latex is white in color, but in some plants it can also be yellow, orange or red.
The rubber tree, the main source of latex, is a plant that grows in tropical climates. The importance of this tree in w
orld trade is very great. In order to obtain latex from rubber trees, V-shaped cuts are made on the trunks of the trees when they are five or six years old, and the milky liquid called latex is collected in bowls. The most productive ages of the rubber tree are the trees between 7 and 12 years old, and more efficiency is obtained from these trees. The collection process is not as simple as one might think. Latex collectors try to collect this milky liquid from night to morning, since rubber tree yields better at night.
What are the features of latex mattress?
Making a list about the properties of the latex mattress will provide a better understanding of the mattress. In this context;
- Latex mattresses have completely natural ingredients and do not contain any heavy or harsh chemicals. Considering that most of the human life is spent in sleep, the importance of the bed with natural features in terms of health can be better understood. Likewise, thanks to its natural structure, it is environmentally friendly and offers full hygiene in terms of cleaning.
- Latex mattresses have a long-lasting use thanks to the durability of the material.
- It provides a very comfortable sleep as it relieves the pressure applied to the body.
- Thanks to its porous structure, it prevents the deterioration of the body’s heat balance during sleep due to its high air permeability. It provides a comfortable and spacious sleep in terms of heat.
- It has anti-allergic properties so that people with allergies can sleep comfortably.
- Harmful gas emission due to use in mattresses is prevented thanks to the structure of latex.
- By supporting the body in the lying position, it allows people who move a lot during sleep to sleep comfortably in any position.
- Due to the structure of the bed, it is not affected by the movement of another person next to the sleeping person, and can continue to sleep comfortably.
- Latex material has a relaxing and resting function on the muscle structure. It is a healthy raw material accepted in the world because it is completely natural. A mattress that is too hard or too soft puts the spine in a different position than it should be which causes restless sleep and pain. However, this negative situation is not encountered in natural latex mattresses and offers you maximum comfort. But, thanks to its high air permeability structure, it will have the comfort that will keep you refreshed and away from bed bacteria for many years.
Should a latex or visco mattress be preferred?
- Visco and Latex materials, which have the ability to distribute pressure evenly, basically differ in terms of production methods and a few structural features.
- Visco is a mattress that contains chemicals, wraps the body, and makes a feeling of being buried a little more when you lie down. While producing the mattress, it is not all made of visco material; sponges are used under the visco to support it. Because it is not possible to sleep in completely visco material. When you lie on your bed, it slowly takes shape and then regains its original form. Visco, which is a sensitive material, must be kept away from intense watery environments. It is susceptible to deformation when exposed to water for a long time. Density ratio may vary from bed to bed. You should choose a mattress that contains Visco at a density suitable for your weight. In addition, it is a type of bed that is not recommended for heavy sleepers, especially on the face. Those who want to experience the feeling of being buried while sleeping and those who like a soft mattress should prefer visco mattresses.
- Latex is a completely natural material. It supports the body like Visco, fills your body cavities when you lie down, but does not wrap your body like Visco. It is an orthopedic mattress as you do not experience the feeling of being buried when you lie down. Since the reaction time (returning to its shape) is fast compared to the Visco mattress, it immediately returns to its original state. It is durable and suitable for long-term use. It is a bed that can be used very comfortably by people of all weights.
Who should prefer a latex mattress?
- If you turn left and right a lot while sleeping, sleep on your side and face, and especially if you are a person who sweats a lot, you should prefer latex mattresses.
- It is a suitable bed for couples as it transmits less movement.